- GSoC 2018 Final Report
- Taking Notes: Understanding the GCNO dump part 1
- Note it : The gcno files
- Getting started with Gcov support
- Summarizing Phase 1
- Text Report of Coverage analysis
- Report Card : The Coverage analysis report
- The right Path : Getting path to build-directory
- GSoC 2018 project Introduction : Improve Coverage Analysis Toolset
- All posts ...
The right Path : Getting path to build-directory
May 16, 2018 • Vijay K. Banerjee (thelunatic)
Hello everyone !
This is still the first week, and a lot of interesting stuffs are going in the project ! While working with the previous GSoC project along with my mentors to fix the issues, we came up with a very interesting problem. Basically I got it running again by parsing the bsp ini file from the script. After giving a good amount of time in understanding the codebase and making addition to it for the parsing, it was really a great feeling to see it running and it felt like we can get it merged with the tester much before the phase 1 deadline and we can give more time to the gcov generation which cetainly demands a good amount of time and focus.
But wait …
Here’s some thing interesting. The rtems tester runs the tests with the following command :
$HOME/development/rtems/test/rtems-tools/tester/rtems-test --rtems-tools=$HOME/development/rtems/5 \ --log=coverage_analysis.log --rtems-bsp=leon3_qemu \ $HOME/development/rtems/kernel/leon3/sparc-rtems5/c/leon3/testsuites/samples
After the updates to the code to include the coverage and parsing of the code using the previous GSoC project, It would look like this
$HOME/development/rtems/test/rtems-tools/tester/rtems-test --rtems-tools=$HOME/development/rtems/5 \ --log=coverage_analysis.log --rtems-bsp=leon3_qemu \ --rtems-builddir=$HOME/development/rtems/kernel/leon3 \ sparc-rtems5/c/leon3/testsuites/samples
$HOME/development/rtems/test/rtems-tools/tester/rtems-test --rtems-tools=$HOME/development/rtems/5 \ --log=coverage_analysis.log --rtems-bsp=leon3_qemu --coverage \ --rtems-builddir=$HOME/development/rtems/kernel/leon3 \ sparc-rtems5/c/leon3/testsuites/samples
Did you spot the difference there?
Apart from and addition of the
--coverage option, we made another difference in the command
--rtems-builddir option. It surely made the job simple for us as we could
take the path to the build directory from the user but it changed the way how the tester works!
This would create so much confusion in the whole user base, it would need updating all the documentations and manuals and users would still be puzzled to see a sudden change in the command line arguments of the tool they had been using for long.
This taught me a very good lesson, the solutions that we’re generating, shouldn’t compromise with the familiar user interface just for the simplicity of development.
We got back to work, which followed a series of updates to covoar and the coverage script.
And then we arrived at a solution where only the addition of
--coverage option makes
I’ll be posting on the working of the coverage soon.
Thanks for stopping by!